Update Chip giant Intel today filed its response to formal anti-competitive charges leveled by the European Commission.
The firm, which was originally due to respond on 8 October last year, had been granted an extension by the EC until 4 January to allow Intel more time to explain itself. However, Intel told Reuters on Friday that the EC granted a further short extension, pushing the deadline back to today.
In July the EC, the EU's anti-trust watchdog, issued a statement of objections that followed a long-running investigation into the firm's alleged anti-trust business practice against rival chip firm AMD.
"Since the statement of objections and Intel's response are confidential documents we will not comment on the specifics of our response," Intel told us. "As we said when the statement of objections was issued, Intel is confident that the microprocessor market segment is functioning normally and that Intel's conduct has been lawful, pro-competitive, and beneficial to consumers."
In other Intel news, Reuters also reports today that the firm's Chinese president Wee Theng Tan has resigned, citing "personal reasons".
He will step down in March with some of his duties being taken on by Intel's Ge Jun, who has been promoted to the role of managing director. ®